Regarding the cultural activities, the Ostal Cassinia is situated in Haute Garonne, South West of France, 65km away from Toulouse, a region rich in outdoor activities. Discover the cultural activities and points of interest of the region at less than a 2 hour drive!
Discover points of interest in the surroundings of the Ostal Cassinia on the interactive map:
Churches and museums around :
Plenty of cultural options to get to know the Southern France a little more !
- Eglise templière de Montsaunès (templar church), phone Françoise Tinton and mention our name, + 33 6 24 06 63 06,
- Eglise romane et abbaye de Saint Lisier (romanic church and abbey), + 33 5 61 96 26 60,
- Cathédrale et ville romaine de St Bertrand-du-Comminges, (cathedral and roman city of St Bertrand-du-Comminges)
- Château de Valmirande, (castle of Valmirande), + 33 5 62 00 79 55,
- Musée préhistorique d’Aurignac, (Prehistoric museum), + 33 5 61 90 90 72,
- Faïences et musée archéologique de Martres Tolosane (Earthenware and archeological museum), + 33 5 61 98 80 02.
Musical events around :
Numerous events take place during the summer in the region. That way, you will be able to find festivals for all tastes!
- Jazz in Marciac (around 28/07 to 15/08), + 33 8 92 69 02 77,
- Festival de Musique Classique de St Bertrand-du-Comminges, Festival of classical music of St-Bertrand-du-Comminges (from 15/07 to 03/09), + 33 5 61 88 32 00,
- Festival R.I.T.E., music of the world at St-Girons, + 33 5 61 96 26 60,
- Autrefois le Couserans, (Formely the Couserans) (from 04/08 to 27/08) parade of old-fashioned and traditional costumes, + 33 5 61 96 26 60,
- Fête des fleurs à Luchon, Flower festival in Luchon (from 24/08 to 27/08), + 33 5 61 79 21 21,
- Fête des Mounhaques à Boussan (23/07) + 33 6 12 83 21 77,
- Abbaye du Bonnefont, Bonnefont Abbey, exposition, tour, workshop, spectacles, + 33 5 61 97 40 48.
Geology around :
The region of Salies du Salat is part of the ancient province of the Comminges. Indeed, it is located on the same level as the first foothills of the Pyrenées. It is in between two watersheds, mostly on the Salat’s and less on the Garonne’s.
This region has for a long time been boosted by the Salat, which is at once:
- a way of connection,
- a way of transport,
- an energy source,
- a source for building materials.
Moreover, the geology of the region is so that there exists under Salies a big “break” of land (Chevauchement Frontal Nord Pyrénéen, C.F.N.P.). This break brings back to the surface ancient lands (220 million of years old) and particularly salt, gypsum and ophite.
The conjunction of these raw materials and of the valley of the Salat, allied with the presence of numerous quarries, has made of this region a heavily inhabited and industrialized place in the past.
Discover as well the outdoor activities that the region offers.